Since childhood, coffee has always been much more to me than simply a hot or cold beverage. For me, coffee is symbolic of connecting to others, or in other words, comfort in a cup, during the best and worst of times. There is nothing better, in my opinion, than waking up or coming home to a warm mug of coffee, with that familiar and nostalgic nutty, creamy taste, accentuated with whatever you may choose, such as cream, sugar, and beyond. Coffee is not only a beverage, but one that is increasingly versatile, allowing for creativity.
One may indulge in the simplest of coffee, a pure, black roast, brewed freshly from whole beans, or a more “jazzed up” cup, with “latte art,” flavored syrups and more. It is a beverage that is more or a less a blank canvas, able to be crafted into anything and everything. Reflecting back on my childhood when coffee was nothing more than 1/4 cup full or less of actual coffee and the majority milk (back then when my mom feared it would stunt my growth – proven to be a myth, I believe), today coffee serves as my beverage of choice and also, a topic of interest. With my goal of one day owning a coffee shop, every opportunity to try a new coffee I can get is a chance to expand my coffee repertoire.
With that being said, I was absolutely delighted and enthused when I was approached by the friendly and welcoming team at Martinson Coffee (www.martinson-coffee.com), a company whose coffees I recently discovered and have come to love. Offering to send me a complete box of my favorite variety – Decaf Hazelnut Vanilla K-Cups, as well as the chance to try several new varieties in their Martinson Variety Pack of K-Cups, I eagerly accepted and awaited it’s impending arrival!
Within days, the box of k-cups was delivered and I was more than ready to indulge in a warm mug of their rich and satisfying coffees. Prior to diving in and sharing my review of the coffees, I felt it would be best to briefly share a history of Martinson Coffee, as it is filled with rich experiences and knowledge in the crafting of high-quality, “Rainforest-Alliance Certified” coffees.
Martinson Coffee History & Background: (via Martinson-Coffee.com)
- Originally started by Joe Martinson (many tie the timeless phrase “A Cup of Joe,” to the influential coffee-lover, himself!), he arrived in New York City in the late 1800’s (roughly around 1898), where he selected coffee beans right from the docking ships. After choosing the beans, he then roasted them in his mother’s kitchen!
- After roasting the beans, he began selling the whole roasted coffee beans from a pushcart and generated a large, dedicated following.
- From the pushcart, he advanced to producing from a factory and sold coffee to businesses such as hotels and restaurants.
- Each bag is stamped with, “It’s the Real Joe,” which proves all Martinson Coffee sold and produced is guaranteed to be filled with the highest quality, freshly-roasted coffee. Enjoy a cup and prepare to be warmed with not only a rich java taste, but the comforting aroma that is as heartwarming as it is nostalgic.
- Feel confident (via Martinson-Coffee.com) knowing Martinson Coffee partners with the Rainforest-Alliance to assist in ensuring farmers can “develop and implement sustainable alternatives to environmental destruction and unethical labor practices.”
Martinson Coffee Product Line Up: (i.e. Bagged Coffees, Canned Coffees, Instant Coffees, Single-Serve K-Cup Coffees)
Bagged Coffee Varieties:
- Martinson Joe’s Dark Bold Brew
- Martinson Joe’s Donut Shop Brew
- Martinson Joe’s Light Latin Brew
- Martinson Joe’s Mild Decaf Brew
- Martinson Joe’s Rich African Brew
Canned Coffee Varieties:
- Breakfast Blend
- Dark Roast
- Traditional Decaf
Instant Coffee Varieties:
Single-Serve K-Cup Coffee Varieties:
- Variety Pack
- Vanilla Velvet
- Decaf Hazelnut Vanilla
- Hazelnut Creme
- Cup O’Cocoa
- Breakfast Blend
- Caramel Creme
- Cayman Coconut
- Colombian Decaf
- Dark Roast
- Donut Shop Blend
- French Roast
- House Blend
- Irish Creme
- Mint ‘n Mocha
- Pumpkin Pie (seasonal)
- Tiramisu Twist
Where to Buy: (Curious about where to purchase these creative coffees? Check out the listings below:)
- Amazon (I first discovered Martinson Coffee K-cups via Amazon, where they offer a vast selection at decent prices!)
- ShopRealCup.com (Here you’ll find the largest variety of Martinson Coffee blends, as their direct e-commerce platform!)
- Select Grocery Store Chains (Check Martinson-Coffee.com, where you can enter your specific zip code in their store locator tool!)
My Review (Decaf Hazelnut Vanilla & Martinson Variety Pack K-Cups):
Decaf Hazelnut Vanilla K-Cups: Several months prior to receiving this shipment directly from Martinson Coffee, I discovered Decaf Hazelnut Vanilla K-Cups via Amazon one afternoon while searching for a flavored decaf k-cup pack. Feeling frustrated at the choices offered, when I stumbled upon this flavor, I was intrigued and opted to purchase a box, unsure of what to expect. As the k-cup brewed in my Keurig machine, I could instantly smell the pleasantly nutty, rich and creamy aroma filling my kitchen. The smell was so inviting, I could barely wait the seconds it took to brew a cup. The first sip allowed me to indulge a full-bodied rich, creamy flavor. The flavor of hazelnut was subtly accented by the smooth taste of vanilla. The hazelnut and vanilla complemented each other and neither overpowered the coffee-taste. The coffee held up well against the slight amount of powdered creamer I added and offered a deep russet color in the mug. Much to my delight, the coffee was not at all watered down and allowed for the pure taste of coffee to shine through. If you’re looking for a satisfying and rich decaf coffee, this is an excellent option and even if decaf isn’t your usual pick, give this try and feel confident knowing another option awaits you that is an alternative to caffeinated coffee.
Martinson Variety Pack K-Cups (Includes: Donut Shop blend, House Blend, Dark Roast, French Roast, Hazelnut Creme and Breakfast Blend):
- Donut Shop Blend: Reminiscent of the type of coffee ordered in an actual donut or coffee shop, this variety was rich and flavorful, with a smooth taste and comforting aroma. A pleasant blend of coffee that offers a nostalgic taste recognized and loved.
- House Blend: Similar in taste to the Donut Shop blend, it is flavorful and full-bodied, a bit stronger, but equally crafted with a pure java taste and a joy to wake up to in the morning.
- Breakfast Blend: Packed with flavor, it is a subtle, lighter roast with a rich, inviting aroma and a familiar java taste, with hints of natural sweetness.
- Hazelnut Creme: As my favorite of the variety pack, this flavor tasted vastly similar to the decaf hazelnut vanilla, without the hints of vanilla, but still packed with the inviting nuttiness of hazelnut. It is creamy with a fragrant, spiced aroma, as it brews, and the richness of java provides a satisfying and indulgent cup!
- Dark Roast: Though dark roasts aren’t typically my favorite, I was a fan of this variety. With a stronger and deeper taste than it’s lighter counterparts, such as the breakfast blend, it offered a boost of energy and richness to start the day off with a kick.
- French Roast: Relatively similar in flavor to the Dark Roast variety, the French Roast offered hints of spices and smokiness, dark and rich in flavor and a deep aroma that filled my kitchen as it brewed. It was flavorful and intense, definitely a rich coffee experience.
All in all, my coffee-tasting experience with Martinson Coffee was one I thoroughly enjoyed indulging in and plan to continue including them in daily coffee ritual. As a company vested in protecting and promoting the environment and offering customers a high-quality coffee, I’m enthused to patronize them and recognize the company as one dedicated to serving their customers.
Many, many thanks to the team at Martinson Coffee for their hospitality and this unique opportunity to sample their many, expertly-crafted/brewed coffees. It was a wonderful way to usher in the upcoming holiday season with numerous comforting “Cups of Joe!”