We’ve made it to Friday! I hope your week has been a pleasant one and that your weekend will be one filled with excitement, relaxation and enjoyment. Last night, I thought it would be fitting to treat my mom to a little homestyle “Mexican Fiesta!” However, it was more or less effortless since the popular General Mills brand, Old El Paso took care of the handiwork for us! Last month, on behalf of General Mills through the MyBlogSpark program, I was provided with the opportunity to sample an Old Paso Frozen Entree for Two variety of my choice! To say the least, I was very excited and eager to sample and select a variety. After the product coupon arrived, I made my way on over to my local Target to choose a flavor I thought my mom would enjoy, since she and I are both huge Mexican fans! After perusing the available varieties (i.e. Fajitas, Burritos, Enchiladas and Quesadillas in either Chicken or Beef), ultimately, I selected the Burritos, knowing they are a favorite of my mom’s.
Before I delve into my review and experience with the Old El Paso Frozen Entree for Two in the Chicken Burritos variety, I’d like to share some insider product information with you:
- Old El Paso is a General Mills company providing consumers with a vast array of frozen entrees, such as those I detailed above, created and crafted by Chef Jonathan according to (wwww.oldelpaso.com), as well as shelf-stable burrito kits, hard and soft tacos with taco seasonings and sauce packets, in addition to stand ‘n stuff taco dinner kits which come complete with soft tortilla bowls, seasoning mix and taco sauce!
- The Old El Paso website (www.oldelpaso.com) is brimming with not only product information, but also recipes and step by step guides to creating the ideal, authentic, restaurant-quality Mexican meal at home!
- As a national company, Old El Paso maintains an active social media presence via Facebook (www.facebook.com/oldelpaso), Pinterest (pinterest.com/oldelpaso), Twitter (twitter.com/bettycrocker) & Instagram (instagram.com/oldelpaso). They encourage their customers and fans to post photos, thoughts and ideas to their social media pages, to foster a sense of community.
Now that you’re packed with knowledge in regards to the Old El Paso company and family, I’d like to share with you some specifics in regards to the Chicken Burritos my mom enjoyed last night!
Old El Paso Frozen Entree: Chicken Burritos Variety (enough for two individuals):
- What’s in it? These Chicken Burritos contain: (2) salsa verde, seasoned white chicken, rice, black beans, a blend of Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses, fire roasted corn and chopped cilantro in a flour tortilla.
- How is it prepared? It is a super simple preparation – simply place it in the microwave for 4-6 minutes (depending on your microwave) with the cellophane packaging on (the packaging directly indicates which side up when microwaving) After heating it up, it is now ready to instantly eat and enjoy!
- Nutrition: The Burritos contain 480 calories and 23 grams of protein, plus 6g of dietary fiber, as stated on the official packaging.
Thoughts on the Sampling Experience:
When my mom arrived home from work last night, I offered to prepare a Chicken Burrito for her. She happily agreed and I quickly retrieved a burrito from the box, read the directions and placed it into the microwave for 5 minutes (the packaging states 4-6 minutes in the microwave depending on the microwave), with the cellophane packaging on. After 5 minutes, I could smell the savory ingredients circulating through the kitchen and retrieved the soft burrito from the microwave. Soon, my mom was ready to dig in. In her words, the flour tortilla was packed with flavor and she liked how soft and pillowy it was. She also felt the size was decent and satisfying. However, she felt the tortillas were filled a little too generously with rice and beans, as opposed to chicken and cheese, which she would have liked more of. Therefore, to complement and round out the meal, I served her the burrito with a sweet potato on the side. Lastly, while my mom enjoys meals with savory flavor, in this particular situation, she felt the burritos were slightly on the spicy side, relatively too much for her taste. If the spiciness was toned down a bit, she felt it would be more enjoyable and to her liking.
Overall, it was an easy and quick meal to prepare and serve. Asked if she would purchase it on her own, my mom stated she would, but perhaps she would try a different variety, such as the fajitas or quesadillas. If you’re looking for a quick and easy Mexican fix to eat at home, work, on the go, Old El Paso is the way to go! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
QUESTION: What are some of your favorite entrees? Have you ever tried an Old El Paso meal?
“Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided by General Mills through MyBlogSpark.”